"Affliction's Hour" Acrylic on Panel 1984 by Carolyn Young Hisel - Original Painting
Carolyn Young Hisel was a well-known Kentucky artist who passed away in 2017. Her art consisted of an incredibly diverse range of paintings, collages, pastels and drawings that spanned a career of more than fifty years. As her work matured, it moved from vibrant colorful abstractions of friends, landscapes and neighborhoods to become more and more about our human relationship with the spiritual realm. In Carolyn's own words: "I ask the questions shared by every struggling human soul: questions about virtue and evil; guilt and innocence; the meaning of suffering and loss; redemption; revelation; love and transcendent joy; hope and despair."
This website has been created for the online sales of This Light, This Ringing: A Fifty-Year Retrospective of the Work of Carolyn Young Hisel , produced by Iota Books of Lexington, Kentucky, to coincide with an exhibition at Lexington’s Headley-Whitney Museum in April of 2019. This 216-page, large-format, full-color book includes a substantial biography, excerpts from Carolyn's own writing about her process as an artist, and essays by friends and scholars, including Mary Ann Taylor-Hall, Susan Starr Richards, and Harvard art historian Jennifer L. Roberts, as well as nine chapters of high-quality reproductions of Carolyn’s work through each phase of her career.
Please note all items are "as-is where-is" unless otherwise noted.
25" x 25" x 1.75"
Terms and Conditions:
1. All items are sold where is, as is.
2. We will contact you the day after the auction ends with further instruction by email and exact address.
3. There will be a $20 fee assessed per item not picked up at that time that will be collected prior to bidding again at our auctions.
4. Please plan accordingly as items not picked up are considered "abandoned". Do not bid if you cant pick up this day.
5. You are responsible for ensuring you collect all items at pickup.
6. Legacy uses "Popcorn" or "Extended" bidding. This means if a bid comes in at the last second, it is extended 3 minutes. This is like a live auctioneer saying, "going once" to ensure all bids are exhausted prior to closing.
7. We charge a 10% flat buyers premium on all items.
8. We charge KY State Tax.
9. You must bring help to pickup any items. We can recommend movers upon request. Also, please bring tools for items that require disassembly. If you want to have an item shipped, see our shipping process below.
10. Please read our complete terms and conditions for additional details.