An extraordinary relic from the earliest days of the United States, this framed letter stands as a testament to the values and camaraderie that defined the American Revolution and its aftermath. Signed by the nation's inaugural President, George Washington, and his trusted Secretary of War, Henry Knox, this letter is a powerful symbol of the spirit of unity that bound the nation's founding fathers.
Understanding the paramount importance of authenticity in historical artifacts, this letter has been diligently examined and authenticated by James Spence Authentication, one of the leading authorities in the field.
Owning this letter is akin to holding a piece of the American dream, encapsulating the ideals and vision of the nation's pioneers. It stands as a reminder of the sacrifices made for freedom and the bonds formed in its pursuit. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for collectors, historians, and patriots alike.
While we learned cursive in school, this was tough to read. Here is the best we can read:
"Be it known that David Olyphant,Esquire, Director of the Southern Hospitals of the United American States is a member of the society of the Cincinnati; institituted by the Officers of the American Army at the period of it dissolution, as well to commermorate the great Event which gave Independence to North America, as for the laudable Purpose of inculcating the Duty of laying down in Peace, Arms assumed for public Defense, and of uniting in acts of brotherly affection and bonds of perpetual friendship. The members constituting the same. In Testimony where of The President of the said society, have hereunto set my hand at Mount Vernon in the State of Virginia this thirty first day of march in the year of our lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven and the Eleventh Year of the Independence of the United States. By Order of Henry Knox Secretary and President George Washington."
Please note all items are "as-is where-is"
28" x 34"
Terms and Conditions
1. All items are sold where is, as is.
2. We will contact you the day after the auction ends with further instruction by email and text.
3. There will be a $20 fee assessed per item not picked up at that time that will be collected prior to bidding again at our auctions. Unlike retail, we do not have the option to store your item. If the item is larger than a standard suitcase (22" x 14" x 10"), we will charge $50 to the card on file per item to move the item.
4. Please plan accordingly as items not picked up are considered "abandoned". Do not bid if you cant pick up this day.
5. You are responsible for ensuring you collect all items at pickup.
6. Legacy uses "Popcorn" or "Extended" bidding. This means if a bid comes in at the last second, it is extended 3 minutes. This is like a live auctioneer saying, "going once" to ensure all bids are exhausted prior to closing.
7. We charge a 12% flat buyers premium on all items.
8. We charge KY State Tax with the exception of vehicles which is collected at the DMV.
9. You must bring help to pickup any items. We can recommend movers upon request. Also, please bring tools for items that require disassembly.
10. Please read our complete terms and conditions for additional details.
Category: Collectibles and Memorabilia